AKS Wheel Stud and Nut Kit - M14x1.5
If you have ever removed or swapped wheels around on your VAG platform vehicle, you will know from experience how laborious it can be to line up the wheel with the holes in the right place, then carefully insert the wheel bolts through and tighten them, all whilst supporting the weight of the wheel and tyre whilst you fiddle getting the bolts in. Even if you do this process often, every day infact you may get better at it, but its still irritating.
That's where wheel stud and nut kits come in, you secure the threaded stud to the vehicle where the wheel bolts would previously have screwed into. Then simply line the wheel up with the studs and slide it on, secure in place with the wheel nuts which screw onto the studs, and your sorted! This makes wheel removal / changes a whole lot easier and quicker as there is no faffing required, line the wheel up with the studs and slide it on.
They are easily reversible and can be removed, allowing you to then use wheel bolts later down the line, should you wish.
The kit includes a total of 20 studs and 20 nuts, you can choose the nut seat style you require for your wheels, radius or tapered as well as the length of the studs required, front or rear if running different size spacers.
There is no option for a locking wheel nut as part of this kit, so fitting the stud and nut kit will mean loosing any form of locking wheel bolt / nut on your wheels.
We recommend the following studs lengths for VAG vehicles...
68mm - No wheel spacers
75mm - Up to 8mm spacers
82mm - Up to 16mm spacers
90mm - Up to 25mm spacers
Notes For Installation
Torque setting for installing the studs - 30lbft / 40nm - Do NOT overtighten as this can damage the stud!!
You will require thread lock for the install of the studs, we reccomend the use of Loctite 2700 which will need to be purchased seperately, at this time.
Steps for installation (Reccomended for professional install)
- Jack the vehicle up and support on axle stands / raise the vehicle on a ramp.
- Remove all 4 wheels, then thoroughly clean the threads in the hubs of the vehicle, and the short ends of the new studs using a solvent cleaner such as brake cleaner. Before proceeding ensure all threads on the studs and threads in the hubs are free from dirt and grease.
- Check that the shank of the stud (the unthreaded / plain section of the stud between the shorter and the longer threaded sections) passes through the holes of your brake disc and there is no contact at this point before proceeding to install.
- Using the Loctite 2700 you have purchased seperately, coat the threads on the short end of the stud with a light covering.
- Using an allen key, tighten the short end of the stud into the hub of the vehicle until you reach the shank - Do not overtighten!! Torque to 30lbft /40 nm.
- Repeat steps 3, 4 & 5 until you have fitted all x20 studs on all x4 corners of the vehicle.
- Wait 3 hours for the Loctite to harden in the threads, then refit the wheels. using the new nuts that came in the kit to secure them. Tighten the wheel nuts to the same torque specs as the factory wheel bolts. Please double check you have the correct seat nuts for your wheels - as a general rule of thumb, radius for most VAG OEM wheels, tapered for most aftermarket wheels!
- Drive the vehicle for approximately 30 minutes, then recheck all of the torque settings.